Saturday, April 4, 2009

Earl Grey Macarons, Anyone?

Being from North America, whenever I heard the word macaron, this image of a pile of dried shredded coconut with some sort of chocolate sauce on it (don't let me get into what I think it looks like) came into my head. The thing is, I have this HUGE dislike for dried shredded coconut. When I say HUGE dislike, I really mean I HATE it. The texture, the taste. UGH! It is just so unappealing to me. Last year while I was in France, I went into quite a few boulangeries and I kept seeing these macarons and I kept thinking how cute they were but OH MY GAWD who wants to eat coconut? ICK!


Recenty, I was browsing through the epicurious website and found this recipe with meringue type of cookies that had a ganache type sandwich filling. Lo and behold, this is a macaron - well the French version of a macaron. If you have never tasted a French type of macaron, you really must try one. I kick myself everyday for not trying a French style macaron while in France.

With the recipe I found on epicurious, I made some earl grey macarons with a Bailey ganache filling. Here are a few photos to document my first macaron baking experience. I gotta say, those were pretty yummy!

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I can't believe that you hate coconut so much being the island-girl you are!!! Sheesh lady! Oh well, all the more for me I guess!!! And where's my macaroons... I love earl grey and bailey's!!!

sparadis said...

I could sample a few after LENT is finished this month. Bailey's and tea sounds good. Anything someone else makes for you is worth sampling.

AmeezInkster said...

Thanks once again for the delicious post. I could eat your blog in one gulp. It doesn't seem fair that S is the sole beneficiary of all your baking experimentation, by the way...I mean, it's not like he doesn't deserve it, but he doesn't deserve it (grin). Are you aware that cupcakes, macaroons and any number of other goodies travel, not WELL, but DECENTLY, in Fed/Ex envelopes??? Just tell me you'll think it over...I'm certainly not above licking the inside of a Fed/Ex envelope if things get a little squashed...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think you brought some of this to work (on wed, apr 22)? If so, I was lucky enough to try one. It was so airy & light & super darn delicious! Yum!