Thursday, October 16, 2008

My First Wedding

I just went to Kelowna for a friend's wedding this last weekend. I really wanted to try my hand at doing a wedding cake. So, I offered to make her wedding cake as her wedding present. Wait a minute, did I tell you I live in the Lower Mainland? Yes, I did live in Kelowna at one point in time but that feels like a lifetime ago. I don't actually have any family in Kelowna anymore. Luckily, my sister still lives in the Okanagan but about an hour and half drive from Kelowna.

I drove out to my sister's place a couple of days before the wedding and busied myself in her kitchen baking and decorating a cake and a few dozen or so cupcakes. I made a Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake for the bride and groom cake and a basic chocolate cake for the cupcakes and the mini's.

The day of the wedding Scott was so helpful. Washing out tips or piping bags, or running to the car to get something I forgot there. As you can tell I was a little frazzled during the setup of the cake and cupcakes. This was my first wedding cake and I didn't want to screw it up.

I finally setup the cake and many, many cupcakes. And I even had time to get myself all gussied up for the wedding as well. I hope all the guests enjoyed the cupcakes. I know the bride and groom enjoyed their cake.(The peanut butter chocolate cake is covered in a marshmallow fondant with vanilla icing. The cupcakes and mini's have a vanilla icing. The edible orange flowers are made of royal icing.)

Happy Caking!

8 comments:

Joanne said...

Trust me folks, the peanut butter cake is so sinfully delicious. A little slice 'll do ya! We are still trying to finish my birthday cake! So yummy and rich! Especially with the added peanut butter ganache icing!

This girl can make cake, and I'm not just saying that because she's my sister!

Bill England said...

The cupcakes were amazing. Absolutely amazing!

Unknown said...

Wish I had tried the peanut butter and chocolate cake! The cupcakes were decadent!!

Unknown said...

I am sure they were delicious....I did not sample to succulent delight. BUT oh so pretty! I love the colour and the ribbon.
well done Joy! You are one multi-talented woman!

Unknown said...

Hi Joy! Just wanted to say that your cake & cupcakes look sooo pretty and professional-looking! BTW, the name of your blog is very cute and creative :)

Sheri said...

so glad you have a blog now, Joy!

you are super talented!

Julie said...

As the bride, I can definitely say that the top Peanut Butter chocolate cake is the best cake I think i have ever had. I have put the remainder of what we didnt eat late at night into the freezer for our anniversary and I think I will enjoy it just as much as the first time round.

THANKS SO MUCH Joy!!! It truly was amazing.

gen said...

OMG Joy, those look soooo gooooood. I so want some now especially since my appetite has increased 10 fold! Love the fall colours. I'm glad everything turned out well :)